Red Leaf Resources is a technology company. Our primary mission is to develop technology that enables the economic and environmentally responsible production of oil from oil shale. While we do own leases in Utah, and intend to develop projects on these leases, the lion’s share of future value for this company is expected to come from royalties on projects that third-party licensees have developed. Despite the enormous size of the Green River shale formation in Utah, Colorado, and Wyoming, the opportunity to develop large scale oil shale projects outside of the United States is much larger. Our objective is to support licensees in determining their own efficient path forward – one that minimizes initial capital investment and provides multiple decision points for moving forward or walking away from potential projects. The following points should be viewed as a “How To” guide for potential licensees.
Initial Steps for a License
- Desktop review of potential resource (no field work)
- How rich is the resource?
- How deep is the resource? What is the stripping ratio?
- How thick is the zone that averages at least 20 gallons/ton by Fischer Assay?
- What is the ownership of the resource? Who has the surface rights?
- What is the nature of access to the resource and to infrastructure?
- Secure access to the resource
- Plan and execute core drilling program
- Chemical and physical characterization of the shale
- Fischer Assay, chemical analysis, density analysis, …etc.
- 10-lb reactor test
- Characterizes volume and quality of oil produced
- Submit a pre-development plan
- Site-specific resource identified and access secured
- Pre-development plan, including:
- Permitting overview and timeline
- Timeline to first production
- Preliminary resource assessment
- Financial model
- Financing plan
- Personnel plan
- A license will require the payment of a license fee plus a revenue royalty
How Red Leaf can Help
- Resource work:
- Introductions to geotech firms
- Provide sample resource reports
- Access to our Oil Shale Database (in development)
- Consulting with our lab staff
- Shale analysis
- See Lab Capabilities under Ecoshale® technology
- Introductions to current licensees
- Introductions to engineering support companies
Engineering Support from Strategic Contractors
- Engineering Support
- Final Engineering
- Technology Updates